Can you not see its application to yourselves? Had I but trusted my God and remained in Judah, or even had I stayed here in Ziklag, this would not have come to pass.” He did not simply make an effort to encourage himself, he actually encouraged himself, found encouragement for himself, in the Lord his God. David did not always do what was right. 1 Samuel 30:6 Translation & Meaning. “How comes a professing Christian to be acting as we do?”. Under the pressure of so unexpected and widespread a calamity, of which he was upbraided as the indirect occasion, the spirit of any other leader, guided by ordinary motives, would have sunk; "but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God." Lord! https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/1-samuel-30.html. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". If you never think about them they cannot affect you, and they will not make you sure that God is yours. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. The reality of David’s faith. He says, “In my distress I cried unto the Lord and He heard me.” Trust in the Lord your God. Three days after this emeute of his turbulent followers, there came a fugitive into the camp with news that Saul was dead and David was king. And then when we look up into the heavens thus submissive, thus obedient, thus owning His authority, and His rights, as well as claiming His love and His tenderness, and cry; “My Father,” He will bend down and whisper into our hearts: “Thou art My beloved son.” Then we shall be strong, and of a good courage, however weak and timid, and we shall be rich, though, like David, we have lost all things. II. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/shh/1-samuel-30.html. Problems in our marriage feel like an uppercut to the chin. ], 3. He “encouraged himself in the Lord his God”--that is what he is said to have done. It is to be remarked, however, that David does not expect that God is going to help him without his doing his best. Some of the things that he did in life were questionable at best. He had long been a wandering outlaw, and had finally been driven, by Saul’s persistent hostility, to take refuge in the Philistines’ country. And was now aligned with the Philistines . The man who contents himself with the generality of a Gospel for the world, and who can say no more than that Jesus Christ died for all, has yet to learn the most intimate sweetness, and the most quickening and transforming power, of that Gospel, and he only learns it when he says, “Who loved me, and gave himself for me.”. Put a little candle in a room, and you will not see the lightning when it flashes outside, however stormy the sky, and seamed with the fiery darts. Everything was gone; property, cattle, wives, children-and all was desolation. He who speaks to everybody except himself is a great fool. Here is one of the many eloquent “buts” of the Bible. 6 David was now in great danger because all his men were very bitter about losing their sons and daughters, and they began to talk of stoning him. Everything else was gone; his property was carried off by raiders, his home was smouldering embers. It is not by accident, nor is it a mere piece of tautology, that we read ‘the Lord his God.’ For, if you will remember, the very keynote of the psalms which are ascribed to David is just that expression, ‘My God,’ ‘My God.’ So far as the very fragmentary records of Jewish literature go, it would appear as if David was the very first of all the ancient singers to grapple that thought that he stood in a personal, individual relation to God, and God to him. BibliographySimeon, Charles. ].”], [We must expect to meet with many difficulties and troubles: nor can we find any grounds of encouragement in ourselves, but in God there is all that we can either need or desire. Alexander MacLaren's Expositions of Holy Scripture, Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible, Joseph Benson's Commentary of the Old and New Testaments, George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged, "but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. “Shall I pursue? The end of sorrow {that is to say, the purpose thereof} is to breed in us the conviction that God is ours, to drive us to Him by lack of all beside; and the end of sorrow {that is to say, the termination thereof} is the kindling in our hearts of the light of that blessed assurance, for with Him we shall fear no evil. “He encouraged himself in the Lord his God.” What a blessed art this of self-encouragement in God. In proportion therefore as God’s faithfulness has been tried and ascertained, our confidence in him must be increased. 3 Dan Daud 4 sangat 1 terjepit, karena rakyat 2 mengatakan hendak melempari dia dengan batu. There is another thing which we have to make an effort to do, if we would have the blessedness of this conviction filling and flooding our hearts. There may be, and no doubt there is, much unworthiness, much undeserving, in the best of saints. That is the surest way of encouraging yourself. Do you need an interpretation of this parable? At this time in his life, David was living in Ziklag . 1871-8. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". 1 Samuel 30:6. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jtc/1-samuel-30.html. 1 Samuel 30:6. 30:6 Dan Daud > sangat > terjepit >, ... BIS: 1 Samuel (Pendahuluan Kitab) I SAMUEL PENGANTAR Buku I Samuel berisi sejarah Israel dalam masa peralihan dari zaman Hakim-hakim kepada zaman Raja-raja. The grand assurance which this man gripped fast. Happy he, who in the hour of trouble knows how to encourage himself in Jehovah, for such a man shall surely triumph over all foes. Nothing. "The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge". Because the soul of all the people was grieved.] But David found strength in the LORD his God. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on 1 Samuel 30:6-8. 1 Samuel 30:6. He had gathered around himself a band of desperate men, and was living very much like a freebooter. But when a man feels, not only ‘the God of Jacob is our Refuge,’ but, ‘the God of Jacob is my God,’ then the whole thing flashes up into new power. Yes! Now I am not putting too much into a little word when I insist upon it that the very essence and nerve of what strengthened David, at that supreme moment of desolation, was the conviction that welled up in his heart that, in spite of it all, he had a grip of God’s hand as his very own, and God had hold of him. Not quite a P.O.… ], We have experienced more abundant proofs of his faithfulness—, [How many promises, made to the Church at large, have been accomplished by the mission of Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit! As the chief cause of their calamity, by carrying them all after Achish to no purpose; whereby their city was exposed to the spoil of the enemy. Moreover David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him, for all the people were embittered, each one because of his sons and his daughters. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jfu/1-samuel-30.html. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". 1. 1 Jean 2 Jean 3 Jean Jude Apocalypse. 4 Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep. Used by Permission. If you are in trouble, and your trouble is mixed with sin, if you have afflicted yourselves by your backslidings and perversities, nevertheless I pray you look nowhere else for help but to the God whom you have offended. the Lord his God, properly so called. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". Charles Simeon's Horae Homileticae. 1. And the glory of the LORD appeared in the tabernacle of the congregation before all the children of Israel. David encouraged himself in the Lord notwithstanding his sinfulness. Then he went further, and argued, “Hath not the Lord chosen me? If you can never think about them they cannot affect you, and they will not make you sure that God is yours. BibliographyBenson, Joseph. give me grace, that whatever leanness or barrenness there may be in me, I may, like David, encourage myself in the Lord my God. You say you “did it for the best;” ay, but it has turned out to be for the worst. 1599-1645. And at that moment what did he do? he encouraged himself in Jehovah, his God. 4. Inconstant people! It is the very thing to do. So for poverty, loss, the blasting of earthly hopes, the crushing of earthly affections, the extremity of danger, and the utmost threatening of death, here is the sufficient remedy-that one mighty assurance: ‘The Lord is my God.’ For if He is ‘the strength of my heart,’ He will be my portion for ever.’ He is not poor who has God for his, nor does he wander with a hungry heart who can rest his heart on God’s; nor need he fear death who possesses God, and in Him eternal life. 2. BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". Under the pressure of so unexpected and widespread a calamity, of which he was upbraided as the indirect occasion, the spirit of any other leader guided by ordinary motives would have sunk; but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God — His faith supplied him with inward resources of comfort and energy, and through the seasonable inquiries he made by Urim, he inspired confidence by ordering an immediate pursuit of the plunderers. Just as an upright merchant in this country would not be suspected of a falsehood, so you would not in the olden time have suspected the average Oriental of ever speaking the truth if he could help it, because he felt that everybody else would deceive him, and so he must practise great cunning. Are not these then grounds of encouragement to us as well as to David?]. And then when we look up into the heavens thus submissive, thus obedient, thus owning His authority and His rights, as well as claiming His love and His tenderness, and cry: ‘My Father,’ He will bend down and whisper into our hearts: ‘Thou art My beloved son.’ Then we shall be ‘strong, and of a good courage,’ however weak and timid, and we shall be rich, though, like David, we have lost all things. 1909-1922. Was he agitated? Here is one of the many eloquent ‘buts’ of the Bible. What do these Hebrews here?” is the sarcastic question of the world. But we have far greater reason to encourage ourselves in God than David had. (A. Maclaren, D. D.). David ‘strengthened himself in the Lord,’ and if he had not doggedly set about resisting the pressure of circumstances, and flinging himself as it were, by an effort, into the arms of God, circumstances would have been too strong for him, and despair would have shrouded his soul. His turbulent followers rose against him, a mutiny broke out-a dangerous thing amongst such a crew-and they were ready to stone him. These things are as much beyond any thing that David had ever seen, as the substance is beyond the shadow. There is an attitude of faith which is passive. The words of the original convey even more forcibly than those of our translation the thought of David’s own action in securing him the hold of God as his. II. At the back of this came bereavement. BibliographyExell, Joseph S. "Commentary on "1 Samuel 30:6". This is what happened now to David at Ziklag, while about the same time Saul, alone and distrustful, fought and fell on the bloody day of Gilboa. ‘But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God’ and the bleeding heart was stanched, and the yearning for some one to love and be loved by was satisfied, when he turned himself from the desolation of earth to the riches in the heavens. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". 1 Samuel 30:6 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] 1 Samuel 30:6, NIV: "David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters.But David found strength in the LORD his God." It was in this view that he was enabled to call God IIIS God; and the thought of this relation to God added ten-fold confidence to his soul.]. We have many conspicuous examples of this; for instance, in the lives of Samson and Saul, how, when with weeping and with mourning, they returned to their allegiance, and again leaned on the “Arm,” success and victory returned to them. 1 Samuel 30:6 | NIV | Other Versions | Context. In the Lord his God, i.e. That’s what David did. We may also see much of his goodness in our own experience. 1 Samuel 30:7 NKJV. 3. The Amalekites had attacked part of the south of Judah's land. 2 Samuel 17:8 For, said Hushai, thou knowest thy father and his men, that they be mighty men, and they be chafed in their minds, as a bear robbed of her whelps in the field: and thy father is a man of war, and will not lodge with the people. Are we then discouraged by outward difficulties or inward corruptions? 1871-8. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. There is another thing which we have to make an effort to do, if we would have the blessedness of this conviction filling and flooding oar hearts. Peter had his choice whether he would look at the water, or whether he would look at Jesus Christ. A paycheck that won’t cover unexpected bills doubles us over like a punch in the gut. let us direct our eyes to him, as our compassionate, almighty, and ever faithful Friend. There will be changes in God's people, like the ebbings and flowings of the tide. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. A superficial look at this whole scene would allow us, as it did David’s men, conclude that God had simply judged David’s little army for their evil. The Lord heard his supplication. David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. Psalm 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity. 7 And David said to Abiathar the priest, Ahimelech's son, I pray thee, bring me hither the ephod. Let us then look to Christ, that through him we may find acceptance with God; so shall God be our Friend, our Father, and our “eternal great Reward [Note: Genesis 15:1; John 1:12; 2 Corinthians 6:18. David, with the help of his God, on whose mercy he had thrown himself, obtained his brilliant success over Amalek, and restored his prestige not only among his own immediate followers, but through all the cities and villages of Southern Canaan. You may have a strong impression that in certain you shall be helped, delivered, but the impression may be all a delusion, “the baseless fabric of a vision,” a hallucination of the mind. The golden rule in David’s day was, “Do others, for others will certainly do you.”. He had lost everything that his heart clung to; wives, children; Abigail and Abinoam were captives in the arms of some Amalekites; his house was left to him desolate; his heart was bleeding. ], 1. Abarbinel is of opinion that it was his excess of sorrow for his two wives, and his remissness and backwardness to take vengeance on their enemies, that provoked them, and put them on talking after this manner: because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters; as well as David; and they were very desirous of recovering them if possible, and of taking vengeance on those who had carried them captive: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God; took all patiently, and exercised faith on his God; he encouraged himself in the power and providence of God; in the promises of God, and his faithfulness in keeping them; in a view of his covenant relation to God; in remembrance of the grace, mercy, and goodness of God, and his former experiences of it; hoping and believing that God would appear for him in some way or another, and work salvation for him. To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters, but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.