Outdoor Bug Control for Houseplants. See more ideas about Cooking recipes, Food, Recipes. Don’t ignore the plant after spraying- the mixture can harm the plant if unwashed. Several different insects tend to infest basil plants, but an attentive gardener can keep the upper hand and prevent insects from desecrating a basil plant. So if you happen to have a beetle problem in your area, you can consider using neem oil to stop them for good. Did you get rid of the bugs on your basil? It is the constantly wet soil conditions that create the perfect breeding ground for fungus gnats. Mealybugs are evident if there’s white mildew or cotton sticking to the leaf branches and the stem of the plant. I brought in a large basil plant from Trader Joes, and have noticed a lot of gnats flying around the soil and the lower leaves of the plant. If you’re not squeamish, grab a pair of garden gloves and remove them yourself. Then spray it where you don’t see any bugs or where they could be hiding (check under leaves and other areas). Usually, they’ll swarm during the day and this is when they’ll be out and about. Fungus gnats feed on decaying matter. They aren't growing upright, but sideways (which is another question) but yesterday I was pulling off the dead leaves, which I thought were a product of the move, but found that both plants are covered in tiny white bugs. How Big Should Your Pot Be for Your Phalaenopsis? Then we’ll cover ways you can stop them. You can use dish soap in a variety of different ways. Always dilute the vinegar first. But again, that’s probably why you’re here, right? Another sign that indicates you may have one of several different types of houseplant bugs is the presence of a sticky substance on the plant itself, or on the surface of the table or floor beneath the plant. You can use any rubbing alcohol to burn mealybugs and kill them instantly. Remove the plant from the pot if possible. Having an herb garden is a great way to grow herbs like basil, rosemary, dill, and thyme for cooking and baking. See more ideas about Basil plant, Cooking recipes, Healthy recipes. For another safe way to flush the bugs out… 7 – Just use water and a garden hose. Or feed them to the birds. Once the plant has produced a full set of leaves, prune to encourage more growth. Sweet basil plants are susceptible to a wide variety of insect pests that can cause significant damage. What to do? It is so important to take care of bugs on outdoor houseplants before bringing them back indoors for many reasons. Those white bugs are aphid nymphs, which will later develop into full aphids. If you have any questions, leave a comment below and I’ll check it out. Basil bugs are no exception. These plant sap sucking insects are one of the most destructive plant pests, as they cause a lot of damage to the phloem cells of the plant cells, which are responsible for the transport of food materials throughout the plant. By now, you know how to get rid of those pests using a variety of DIY home remedies. I've seen no sign of larvae or anything else eating the leaves. They’re starved for energy early in the day, so you can pick them off by hand. Over time, they’ll start showing their true aphid form and that’s when you’ll start to recognize them. I keep them next to the windows so they get some light. There’s no right answer for this. Is it safe? They’re used by commercial crop growers who happen to encounter the same whiteflies on their crops. Choose the one that you think works best for you! Fill a spray bottle nearly full of water. The aphids will get killed from the dish soap and drown. You can also use a miniature vacuum to suck them up if you want to do this quickly.