For the C500 Mark II I’m just making an educated guess. Hard times. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Then pick the Canon C500 Mark II. The Cinema EOS C500 Mark II features Canon’s high-resolution 5.9K (38.1 x 20.1mm) Full Frame CMOS sensor, which offers exceptional low noise and a broad range of tonality with over 15 stops of dynamic range. Highlights and Shadows Canon’s new-ish full-frame sensor (also offered on the C700 FF) gives filmmakers a more detailed image, with an even shallower depth of field. These cookies do not store any personal information. In today’s market I think it’s wise to just listen to the wallet. The two most exiting camera just announced – Canon EOS C500 Mark II and Sony PXW-FX9! To be fair to the Sony FX9, it already has genlock built in. Not only does it add to the cost of the camera, but also the time to work with RAW and the cost of additional storage and processing power. Compare Sony PXW-FX9 vs Canon C500 Mark II | B&H Photo Press ‎ ↵ Enter ‎ for Accessibility for blind people who use screen readers Press ‎ ↵ Enter ‎ for Keyboard Navigation You can always get used to either camera, and you will find good and bad things on both, so there are no deal breakers here. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. This feature will, without a doubt, elevate many productions, allowing filmmakers everywhere much more creativity. Did You test Sony AF on this camera? This was a major reason why so many productions adopted an FS7 workflow. I am a Sony shooter, and have to say, the C500 M2 has exited me so much, I many switch systems. That's in the realm of a used Arri Amira. The Massive Update To the BMPCC4k Is Here, Meet the Pocket-Sized and Versatile Aputure MC Film Light, How to Choose and Use a Capture Card for Your Gaming Needs, Hands-on Review: the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K. Canon and Sony have long been battling for the title of Best Mid-Tier Cinema Camera System. Sony believes will mostly be using the camera handheld. September 2019 Comparison Canon EOS C500 Mark II vs Sony PXW-FX9. We’ll take a closer look at media card rates below. Digibeta had just been phased out and the DSR-450 was the go-to Broadcast camera, with a selection of smaller Sony Cameras for B Roll. This difference also tells an important story. 1. Personally, in case you are interested, I prefer Canon’s layout. The Sony FX9 DOES capture 4K Full Frame, S-35 and Open Gate but doesn't capture on-board RAW or with the high data rate of the Canon C500 II. The Canon C500 Mark II is definitely more expensive on paper. Now let’s get into the camera video specifications: *Dual Native ISO. No more 8 bit! Again, this is only relevant if you’re purchasing heavier lenses like the Sony 28-135mm f/4 G lens. Canon and Sony have long been battling for the title of Best Mid-Tier Cinema Camera System. I may be slightly biased since I’m already a Sony shooter (although I do really enjoy using Canon cameras). Canon USA. camera engineers, enhanced Fast Hybrid AF combines phase detection AF for fast, accurate subject tracking with contrast AF for exceptional focus accuracy. I have collected the currently available specification information in o… The Canon EOS C500 Mark II 5.9K Full-Frame Camera Body is part of the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras, and it features a full-frame CMOS sensor with an effective 18.69MP resolution. On the other h… If the image quality compares to the footage shot by Russel Carpenter on Canon’s C700 promotional film ( whose sensor it shares ), I may very well invest in this system. And take a guess on durability and servic-ability of each camera considering past models since these are knew, Another great review and insight 2. jiri vrozina . Canon RAW is read by every important NLE directly. My experience, as a documentary filmmaker, has tought me the the more external recorders and frankenrig stuff that is needed to make a camera work, the more points of failure, and the less functional a camera becomes in the field. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. This allows it to feature a 5.9K output in full frame, and crop (window) the sensor for Super 35 and Super 16 frame sizes while maintaining a high resolution. The C200 is currently $6,499. The Sony FX9 has a locking E mount. You can always buy cheaper batteries, but the same applies to both cameras. Filmmakers Philip Bloom, Nino Leitner, and Hans von Sonntag discuss the new full-frame cinema cameras – the Canon C500 Mark II and the Sony FX9. There are other ergonomic considerations as well, though I feel they are more of a personal preference. Filmmakers Philip Bloom, Nino Leitner, and Hans von Sonntag discuss the new full-frame cinema cameras – the Canon C500 Mark II and the Sony FX9. I have collected the … Both the Sony FX9 and Canon C500 Mark II ship with an LCD. Sony’s videos have been impressive, but I feel the technology is only if you’re desperate. You need to pay $2,199 extra for a locking EF mount (called EF-C) from Canon. The EOS C500 Mark II is the first Canon Cinema EOS camera to feature built-in five-axis electronic IS that works with almost any lens including anamorphic. The two most exiting camera just announced – Canon EOS C500 Mark II and Sony PXW-FX9! One advantage of Sony FX9 is the variable electronic ND as opposed to classic internal variable ND with fixed stops in the C500 II. I also don’t understand why 4K DCI is a special firmware update. Their 35.7 x 18.8 mm sensor is also equipped with fifteen stops of dynamic range. Using Canon supplied IDTs, images captured on the EOS C500 Mark II can be imported directly into the ACES compatible systems. Note: Sony writes the data rates as MBps which is incorrect. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The ability to record multiple channels and control them individually is important, especially for run-and-gun interview situations. To be honest I don’t know how practical this is. It depends on the lenses you are going to use it with. They compare several aspects of both cameras – for instance, the lens mounts, color science, autofocus, and image stabilization. I’ve seen several tests that show the A9 outperforming dual-pixel autofocus cameras in many respects. As we have seen before, both cameras meet these specifications, but with the C500 Mark II having the upper hand because it outputs 6K, so even ‘chopped off’ anamorphic will deliver true 4K. The handle is also much more solid than on the Mark I, as Canon clearly realise that it will be used with film lenses which are … The EOS C500 Mark II features Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF Technology which offers high-speed Continuous AF. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. In post-production, Canon Log is designed to reproduce the entire tonal range that the CMOS image sensor is capable of. But XQD does limit the maximum data rate in camera so you’ll never get internal RAW with XQD. Amazingly, this is not mentioned in the Canon specs. I think Full Frame cinema cameras at these price points are very welcome in the industy. DAF can survey the scene and recognizes not only whether the subject is in focus or not, but in which direction (near or far), and by how much. Interview with Alexander Marik, CEO of ETAS GmbH, one of the leading distributors of video and audio equipment for clients in all broadcast, … You need to add a separate wireless transmitter with the C500 Mark II. What is dual pixel AF? The biggest difference between the Canon C300 Mark III and the Sony FX9 is the sensor size. This could give the FX9 a major competitive edge over the C500 MKII. (Best with Adobe Acrobat Reader, 2-page view, show cover page.) Click below. The Canon C500 Mk II uses the same sensor as the Canon C700 FF, built into a versatile, modular compact form factor camcorder which is shorter than the C300 Mk II and body weighting just 1.75kg (without battery). Canon sells the following two adapters, both with shim kits: Since we are comparing both cameras for the solo shooter or owner operator, I’ll assume you are okay with the standard EF mount for this comparison. Two independent image signals can then be detected at each photosite and compared using phase-difference to provide autofocus with compatible lenses. Firmware Updates & Frame Rates Nino Leitner acts as a moderator of the discussion and he also has experience with the Sony FX9. At the time of this writing Canon hasn’t published the nits rating. Thanks for watching! Filmmakers Philip Bloom, Nino Leitner, and Hans von Sonntag discuss the new full-frame cinema cameras – the Canon C500 Mark II and the Sony FX9. Along with being capable of 60 fps at 4K (but currently only in a Super 35 crop), the FX9 is slated to feature a future firmware update, taking the capabilities of the camera up to 120 fps at 4K, internally. Canon RAW is actually Canon RAW Lite, written internally, at about 1/3 to 1/5th data rates. It all depends on your shooting style and needs. *Currently it can only go to 3840 × 2160. If im only thinking profit I wouldn´t buy any of these, would I? Let’s take a look at some of the most promising and exciting features of each system. Both cameras claim 15 stops of dynamic range, and if past performance is any indicator I believe the images will get close! Hard to decide. I don’t think that the autofocus in the C500 II will outperform the FX9. Comparison Canon EOS C500 Mark II vs Sony PXW-FX9. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Canon has outfitted the C300III with a Super 35mm image sensor whereas Sony went big with a full-frame imager. Reply. Canon vs Sony Autofocus Showdown (FX9 vs C500 Mark II) Testing and comparing the autofocus systems on the Sony FX9 and the Canon C500 Mark II for usability, reliability, and their limitations. One of the biggest pain points of the C300 Mark II was the inability to record 60 fps at 4K. The new Canon C500 Mark II and Sony FX9 are bound to find their way onto sets and productions everywhere. Some like the rosette and single shoulder mount system and others don’t care much for it. The latest FDTimes 96-page IBC-September Edition. Member. Additionally, video output from the … Image Stabilization. Which one to choose? In this article we’ll look at all the important specifications relevant to video and see which camera is the better investment for the next 2-3 years for the owner operator. For me the Canon C500 Mark II strikes a great balance here. It is important to draw attention to Canon’s non-operator side. I also think that the FX9 will be the superior performer in low-light, which wasn’t covered here. Canon’s previous option — the C300 Mark II — wasn’t capable of 60 fps at 4K. This is more rugged than the standard E mount on Sony alpha mirrorless cameras. Everyone says DPAF is so great but I would love to see real world comparision. Only time and experience on set will tell if one of these cameras will claim the title of best mid-tier cinema camera. Canon EOS C500 Mark II - Full-Frame 5.9K ARRI ALEXA Mini LF Sony PXW-FX9 Teradek Bolt 4K MAX Panasonic LUMIX DC-S1H Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K SIGMA Full-Frame Classic … …handheld footage can be transformed with Sony Catalyst Browse/Catalyst Prepare software* in post-production to look as smooth as if it were shot with a gimbal. If your work is broadcast oriented, with multiple accessories, and you find yourself part of a multi-camera shoot most often, and genlock is important, the choice is a no brainer. But so far…only in the mirrorless camera space. The C500 Mark II offers a 5-axis electronic stabilization that’s fully in-camera. If you’re using cine lenses or heavier zoom lenses then definitely yes. The Sony FX9 and Canon C500 Mark II full frame cinema cameras. The C200 has them at the back but to the left, so you could still access it if you were standing on the operator’s side. The lower resolution doesn’t really matter if it’s used like an LCD. They wanted the capability of a true 4K deliverable, while still being able to have a 60 fps over-crank. It can be stripped down to use on a gimbal, or rigged up to shoot movies good enough for Hollywood. Compare Sony PXW-FX9 vs Canon C500 Mark II | B&H Photo Press ‎ ↵ Enter ‎ for Accessibility for blind people who use screen readers Press ‎ ↵ Enter ‎ for Keyboard Navigation Click below. The buttons can also be illuminated in the dark. ^You can move in increments between 2 to 7 or dial in any ND range from 1/4 (2 stops) to 1/128 (7 stops). However, the FX9 will have a future firmware update that will bring the camera up to 120fps at 4K. Also, if you have multiple accessories it’s a good way to power them as well. FX9 is the new generation of Sony’s full-frame cameras and is intended to wrestle against the other full-frame rivals like Canon C500 mark II. That’s a difference of $200 or so. Will one of these camera systems reign supreme? Having to put that extra piece on the back of the Sony just to get SDI out is a deal-breaker for me, and a mis-step in my opinion… The modularity of the C500 M2, while maintaining the best image quality, is HUGE. Canon is the class leader here, and with Canon’s range of cinema lenses there’s nothing left to say. Add falling wood and more to your video with this comprehensive library of 80 impressive elements. 1 - 2. It goes without saying AF for video works best and most reliably only with native lenses. To make it a fair fight I’ll need to add the price of the Canon EU-V1 to this comparison. Hence the single grip and viewfinder. The C200 is currently $6,499. However, there are major differences between the two. We’ve already shared the basic specs and details of Canon’s new EOS C500 Mark II cinema camera, but our friends over at Cinema5D have gotten their hands on a unit and shared a ten-minute overview of the new full-frame cinema system.. Many thanks Sareesh for doing this comparison. To know how ND numbers relate to stops, read the complete guide to in-camera filters. But it should be blatantly obvious by now that the Sony FX9 and Canon C500 Mark II are meant for two different markets. ^Sony RAW is via a future firmware update an only possible through the XDCA-FX9 extension unit. All this means is you can desqueeze the image internally instead of having to use an external monitor. Building on the success of the PXW-FS7 and PXW-FS7M2, the Sony PXW-FX9 (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) uniquely combines high mobility with an advanced AF system, impressive bokeh and slow-motion capabilities, beautiful 4K HDR imagery from oversampling a 6K Full-frame Exmor R sensor with 15+ stop dynamic range and Dual Base ISO – making it the ultimate tool for documentaries, … EOS C500 Mark II 5.9K Full Frame sensor; 4K at 50p/60p with 4:2:2 sampling; Cinema RAW Light and XF-AVC Intra Frame records to CFExpress Type B Cards But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. The two most exiting camera just announced – Canon EOS C500 Mark II and Sony PXW-FX9! To be able to go low-profile on the street with just the little EVF at the back and some Canon glass, or pop the little camera on a gimbal, with it’s blazing fast autofocus, or build up a shoulder rig with large V-Mount batteries at the back to balance the camera- it’s what we have been waiting for- a flexible tool for the owner-operator. Both the Sony FX9 and Canon C500 Mark II are proven swiss army knives in the world of solo shooter filmmaking. You can always buy cheaper batteries, but the same applies to both cameras. MBps or MB/s is 8 times Mbps! Interframe bit rates are too low. Canon C500 Mark II vs. Sony FX9 both are great and amazing camera. That’s a difference of $200 or so. I am leaning on the Sony because of price and it soothes my needs the best. Please like, comment, & subscribe. I am still very much in doubt which camera Im going to buy. For the average shooter, the data rates on the Sony FX9 are more manageable. Exclusive Bonus: Download your FREE Blueprint: How to make a movie. Announced at IBC 2019, the FX9 is the latest XDCAM camera from Sony, featuring a newly-developed 6K Full Frame sensor and Fast Hybrid Auto Focus (AF) system. * Catalyst Browse/Catalyst Prepare Ver.2019.2 is required. The data rate might max out at 25o MB/s in 12-bit Canon RAW Lite, but it’s better to wait for the real world tests first. Overall, both Sony and Canon are introducing new and exciting camera systems into the mid-tier cinema camera market. For these solid reasons: ^Depending on the frame rate. However, the FX9 will have a future firmware update that will bring the camera up to 120fps at 4K. #The SD card is useful to record proxies for faster editing. And both Canon and Sony have decades of experience and trust in the broadcast space. The Canon C500 Mark II can record 120 fps in 2K, so is slightly better off in resolution. With the new Canon C500 Mark II snagging headlines with its release at the end of last year, it’s time to compare it to some other, more recent camera models— like the Sony FX9. Below is what similar competing cameras retail for: PRICE : Canon C300 Mark III: $10,999 USD: Canon C300 Mark II: $8,999 USD: Sony FX9: $10,998 USD: Sony FS7 MK2: $8,998 USD: Panasonic Varicam LT: $9,995 USD: Pansonic EVA1: … Putting together a camera package in a modular system. I definitely pick the Canon C500 Mark II here. Guest. These are the cameras used in high end television and documentaries. Media card costs are an important percentage of ownership: ^Sony XQD G cards 240 GB. The somewhat comparable Sony FX9 is $11,000. Both cameras can record HD proxies simultaneously. Digibeta had just been phased out and the DSR-450 was the go-to Broadcast camera, with a selection of smaller Sony Cameras for B Roll. The handle is also much more solid than on the Mark I, as Canon clearly realise that it will be used with film lenses which are larger and heavier than equivalent DSLR lenses. Sony has just one glass, and it is controlled by one mechanism. Canon C500 Mark II Versus Sony FX9. However, the stabilization has to happen in post-production, with the FX9 utilizing their Sony Catalyst Browse/Catalyst Prepare software. Sony had the market and were pretty relaxed about it. This 120 fps competitive advantage over the C500 MII may just give the FX9 that much more of an advantage over the C500 MII, to sway productions. The new Sony FX9 takes the FS7’s body, but turns it into an Olympic athlete in the Sony camera line. I like the C500 MK II a lot, but when you go all in with the rear EVF and an extra CFast Express card, the total comes to $19,000. But there are a lot of things that will come in a future update which i dont like. The C500 Mark II is capable of 5.9K output in full-frame. Canon C300 Mark II plusses over Mark I: Canon C300 Mark II minuses over Mark I: 4k Internal recording ... My guess is a C500 MkII will be the camera that will do this. Gold Mount vs. V-Mount: Which Is Your Best Choice? Thanks On the other hand, the C500 Mark II is bound to be more power hungry than the FX9. Even if you damage one, the others will still work. Sandisk CFexpress 256 GB. Log workflows provide the user with higher dynamic range, more highlight and shadow retention, and more flexibility in grading. Working the the team at Epic Light Media, filmmaker Armando Ferreira has gotten three extremely popular >4K cameras to test: the 6K-shooting Canon EOS C500 Mark II, 8K-capable Canon EOS R5, and the mind-boggling URSA Mini Pro 12K. How does it stack up to the Canon C500 Mark II in your opinion? The Sony FX9 has SDI built in to the back… no extras needed. It should be Mbps. Both can be used by a single shooter, but the FX9 is more friendly for all kinds of video work when you are a one-person operation. +++. Which one to choose? I prefer the Canon system, as each glass is separate. According to Canon: The EOS C300 Mark III includes the same built-in five-axis electronic IS introduced with the EOS C500 Mark II that works with almost any lens, including anamorphic. The best online film school for serious filmmakers. The C500 Mark II can also record in Canon RAW lite. So, I wasn't really considering the FX9 as my next purchased as I was currently weighing between the C500 II and the Gemini, but this test is pretty incredible. Hard times😃. Also, there is the question of the placement of audio controls. In the first half of this episode, Scott talks with Van Bedient, Adobe’s senior business development manager, about the soon to be available group editing feature for Premiere Pro. Sony PXW-FX9: https://geni.us/13TCB Canon C500 Mark II: https://bhpho.to/2VmTJSO My Sony FX9 Review: … The latest FDTimes 96-page IBC-September Edition. If yes, then the Sony FX9 is the right investment for you. I wish they'd priced the C500 II a bit cheaper. Both the Canon C500 Mark II and Sony FX9 are capable cameras, but which is the better camera and value for professional video? Here’s a summary of each round, and the “winner”: I know a lot of people will be comparing these two cameras. Canon C500 Mark II versus Sony FX9 During this year’s Photo & Adventure trade show in Vienna, … With the ability to record 5.9K RAW internally, the camera can record plenty of data for most productions. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. December 2017 #pa17at ETAS Interview. The Canon C300 Mk II feels very solid and is cased in a sturdy Magnesium chassis. The camera is based around a newly-developed 6K Exmor R sensor that features over 15 stops of dynamic range, Dual Base ISO (ISO 800 and 4000 in S-Log 3) taken from Sony’s Venice cameras and internal … 18 dB is about 51,200 ISO. The C500 Mark II has a lower resolution 4.3″ (1.23 million dot) touchscreen LCD. If I had to pick just one winner, I’d pick the Canon C500 Mark II. They’re both stellar cameras. I’m also looking forward to you actually testing both, especially for low-light work and image stabilisation. Both the FX9 and C500 MKII came out at the end of 2019, making them the ultimate competitors in … Both cameras have important SDI ports and the obligatory HDMI port: Atomos have announced 16-bit Prores RAW from the FX9, but only with the extension unit. That would make me see what kind of image im able to pull out of the cameras. The asterisk there is that Sony claims 6K, but the sensor is actually a downgraded version of 6K that gives the user an upgraded 4K look that is more crisp than other 4K’s seen. So does that price compare to other digital cinema cameras? And even though the FX9 is less expensive, I think they’re both great values for the money. I would rarely use the 6K at 2.1 MBps, cause it takes the 512GB card in 31 minutes, but surely there are people, who wouldn’t have problems with that, cause they have different needs. The Canon C500 Mark II. Those who are purchasing the Sony FX9 and Canon C500 Mark II are mainly into documentaries, corporate videos, commercials, high-end weddings and maybe the occasional short or feature work. Let us know in the comments below! Experience the best TheBeat has to offer. Original batteries only, from B&H. Comparison Canon EOS C500 Mark II vs Sony PXW-FX9. In the second half, Damian talks with PVC contributor and camera reviewer Brian Hallett about his thoughts on the Sony FX9 and the Canon C500 Mark II. Original batteries only, from B&H. The somewhat comparable Sony FX9 is $11,000. They compare several aspects of both cameras – for instance, the lens mounts, color science, autofocus, and image stabilization. To be honest, both settings get the job done. They are both very good cameras, but meant for different users with different needs. ... Sony FX9 First Look with Philip Bloom. I believe it both camera give amazing flavor of video. A used FS7, or possibly an URSA Mini (with shoulder rig + Vmount battery), would suffice for quality production. The data rates are on par with Prores HQ, and the codec edits great, similar to XAVC-I. Hard times. So either we add modules to both cameras, or to neither. Though, it would be fun to play around with the c500ii, shooting raw and make my own videos, but thats not what pays the bills. Great your Canon C500 Mark II vs. Sony FX9 – Panel Discussion. If you are a Canon user owning a EOS R with the newest RF glass, than you cant use these with the new C500 Mark II. Of course, the big question is: Is the Canon C500 Mark II worth the extra $5,000? We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Dynamic Range Result of the Canon C500 Mark II at ISO 800 Please have a look at how we test dynamic range of cameras here . January 4 th, 2020. Not many clients pay extra for 6K or RAW workflows. Here are the official numbers: *See below for which battery. ^C-Log 2 has the highest dynamic range. I’m sure the image on the C500 II will be beautiful, but the FX9 is basically my dream camera. Throughout the 11-minute video, Cinema5D takes a look at the overall unit, as well as the extension units, which make the camera even more modular … It also has a hot shoe mount on top for additional audio modules if necessary: These give you an additional two channels of XLR audio and the kit comes with a shotgun microphone as well. *See below for which battery. 180 fps is currently not available, it’s a future firmware update. Excellent recording mode, 4K capturing with oversampled 6K Full-frame Exmore R sensor. thanks, How about discussing the menus and their ease of use…Canon vs Sony. By then the price will have dropped a bit too! The standard EF mount is non-locking. Users also benefit from smooth, intuitive touch focus operation with the new 4.3-inch LCD monitor LM-V2, as well as an improved focus control that recreates a more natural focus pull.