There are a lot of helpful tips, and it’s both more digestible than a lot of other information and really helpful as a format to put your own products and modifications into. I think I' am somewhere between 2A-3A hair and have very thin, fine, low-density, flat wavy hair prone to breakage. I use the “squish to condish” method, and I’m not sure exactly who to credit this technique to (if anyone knows please tell us below and I will edit this). Essentially, the method is no sulfate, no drying alcohols, no silicone, no heat. Hi Brittany! If you want to try one, try the one with hold first! Check out this set that includes a dryer and the black orchid. Welcome to the whole wavy hair method journey thing Ugh, it’s tough to not go crazy on new products at first! I tried Shea moisture leave in but it was way too heavy for my hair, so right now the only styling product I use is … Then, get your hair to 80% dry. YES! I immediately couldn’t bring a comb or denman brush through my hair so I rinsed it out thoroughly and started over. If your natural hair is wavy, it’s going to stay wavy after the Curly Girl Method—just a healthier, fuller, more defined version of it. It might be the time of year! I’ve just discovered that I actually have wavy 2b/c hair instead of frizzy straight hair! I don’t want to brush it down, but I don’t know how else to control it. Well, the salon put way too much product in it, so I washed it Tuesday night. Not sure if it has ingredients that I should be avoiding, Hi Mariah! Type 2b wavy hair has a bit more wave to it than type 2a hair and is also somewhat resistant to styling. I detail how to use each product for each wash day, and also the other treatments to do less often (like a hair mask!) Even calling my hair wavy has always felt a little generous: Whatever wave my hair is sporting on any given day is almost always overshadowed by some show-stealing frizz, dry texture, and altogether unwieldiness—it wasn’t obviously curly hair. GVP Conditioning Balm should be used as a rinse out conditioner or deep conditioner. So I’d suggest this mask to use as a deep treatment (it has both moisture AND protein!). I learned about the curly girl method years ago. I followed the curly girl method for 30 days with a cgm approved wavy hair routine. If you’d like a full post on these, please comment below so I know. -Rachel. Katherine has wavy hair and loves the Curly Girl Method. In the shower I use Not Your Mother’s Naturals tahitian gardenia flower mango butter curl defining shampoo. Many I have looked at are so complicated and I am all about lazy girl hair. -Rachel. While curls are still soaked, apply your hair gel or styling product. Hopefully that all helps I’ll probably create a post about FAQs on here because so many people have asked great questions! Yet just a few years after the CG method caught on, wavy and curly hair became popular once again. I’m super low-maintenance but would love to help my waves stick around a little longer! In fact, the Curly Girl Method was originally set out for both wavy and curly hair. On the other days I primarily put my hair into a bun and don’t get it wet. Get ready for an affordable, easy hair routine for wavy hair! There are different lists of CG method approved hair products. I get some actual curls, some good wave, a whole bunch of really wrong waves, and some fairly straight if I just arrange my hair as it comes straight out of the plop and leave it to dry. It’s a more natural method of haircare for those with wavy or curly hair, designed to moisturize it and strenghten it, and to enhance curls. Oops! Another option I’ve been recommending in place of is the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker Hope that helps! We have Lorraine Massey and ‘The Curly Girl Handbook’ to thank for this. Personally, I don’t like to spend the time diffusing – remember those toddlers? Hope that helps! note: **this shampoo contains amodimethicone, which is NOT like other silicones. Excited to start switching over , Not a problem, good luck! Because you mention having to rinse it out quickly but then mention leaving it on while you do your other shower stuff. Approximately 95%-98% of the conditioner is removed. To answer your questions 1. not quite interchangeable! But also….I don’t worry too much about root volume. I tried wetting it and letting some curl stimulator set in it overnight to make it look better. Try this routine out, and let us know if it works for you. Sorry about that. I’m trying to start this routine for the first time, and this was really helpful so thank you! Wavy 2a 2b curls HELP. In the winter months, I’ll use this every other wash. I don’t have the same access to the Australian/NZ Amazon sites like I do US and UK. How often do you apply curl enhancer and mousses? Get ready for an affordable, easy hair routine for wavy hair! I’m curious how well this routine would work with shorter hair, though. There are other parts of my hair routine that I consider my routine but aren’t done with each wash. Hope that helps! Am I reading that right ? Thanks so much for this great post! 97% Upvoted. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to MailChimp for processing. 9 times out of 10 I sleep in it! Your email address will not be published. That I find encourages the clumps/waves. I’m trying to embrace my natural waves and looking for resources online. Microfiber Turbie Twist / Turban Towel AND Morning Shower Notes. Jul 17, 2018 - Curly girl method before and after results wavy hair 2a 2b 2c Curl custard is the go-to product for making wavy hair curly. Good luck on your waves! If I add in gel, I will do that step in the shower, directly after a curl enhancer. I’ve really been struggling with coming up with a simple routine and not overbuying unnecessary products and stumbled upon this post, which has definitely pointed me in the right direction! This article has been so helpful, thanks! Or do you take it off before bed? Here's my current Curly Girl method routine for my wavy hair, including protein treatments, refreshing, washing, drugstore products, sleeping, and styling! For fine hair, I’d say use this OR a leave-in product, but not both (it’ll get weighed down). Then I move onto the next step…. We use MailChimp as our marketing platform. 2. I didn’t style it yesterday morning, so it looked a little rough. If it works for you with long hair, it should work well with short hair. So the curly girl method works for wavy and curly hair. Type 2 wavy texture is not quite straight and not completely curly, with the spectrum of hair ranging from loose loops to coarse, thick S-shaped waves combined with curls. I was hoping to use their blackberry quinoa one, can I sub for that or does it have ingredients I should be avoiding? A light gel. Coat all of your hair in conditioner and let the water run through. How I use: with 95% dry hair, I’ll wrap small sections around each rod as if I was curling the hair with a clipless curling iron. Sorry about that and great catch! I’m so glad to hear that! Hi Laney! While the name doesn’t say it, this IS a low-poo because it’s sulfate free! Wavy Hair Progress Using the Curly Girl Method (2B Routine in Comments) hair victory. Thank you for sharing your technique! But basically, you flip your head over and “squish” your conditioner into your hair by scrunching it into soaking wet hair. However, there are ways to manage this. I use it every wash day (roughly every 3 days). It’s just not going to happen. 2A 2B 2C Hair Care Routine - Curly Girl Method. In the scheme of things, I’d rather not worry. I have fine type 2c wavy hair that gets weighed down easily by products. Deep conditioner: cold pressed unrefined coconut oil, Related Post: How to Do a Coconut Oil Mask on Wavy Hair, Detangle: dry detangling with Tangle Teezer, clarifying wash: Yes to Tea Tree & Sage Shampoo, ACV Rinse: raw organic apple cider vinegar, Related Post: Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse Tips for Wavy Hair, Cowash: Yes to tea tree & sage conditioner. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website. I find if I use it other times it weighs my waves down and leads to build up. Do you really just detangle with conditioner, put it in a twist, and then let it air dry? Not only in the amount of product, but the weight of the product. This must be rinsed out quickly or the hair gets weighed down. Would I be able to follow this routine as written (but with obviously smaller amounts of product), or do I need to try changing it up if I cut my hair shorter? I just came across your page after realizing I have more of type 2a hair than type 1 hair. (not sure if it’s in a good way or not ) Welcome! This method was first made popular in December 2001, when hairstylist Lorraine Massey released her hair-care guide, Curly Girl: The Handbook. Do you have any recs? – but if that’s your thing go for it! I find if I go any higher that my hair gets too much build up on days 2-4. It won't bounce, even if layered, but does tend to frizz. It helps your hair look shiny and defined without any damage involved. Good luck and thanks again for the kind words. Curly hairstyles. This is typically 4 golf ball sizes out mousse for my medium thickness, coarse, long hair. 448. I don’t use gel on refresh days, only mousse. I lose SO much less hair than detangling in the shower. Close. I learned about the curly girl method years ago. Keep in mind I have coarse, thick hair that is below my chest. If you can find it you’re lucky! Bummer about UFD, I’ve heard that a lot lately. The more natural, the better, as artificial ingredients can be very drying to curls. I plan to write up a routine on how I use gel in a routine shortly so be sure to subscribe so that you don’t miss it! Like the blackberry and quinoa one? I first heard about the Curly Girl Method years ago, but I never considered it an option for my in-between, wavy hair. Hint: Finger-styling is your new BFF. It definitely won’t clarify. You’ve tried the routine for your curly hair sisters- but you don’t get those kinda results! In spring-fall, maybe every 4th wash. How I use: same as the GVP conditioning balm, just something else to change it up. It can take several minutes in the shower to fully detangle my hair, and certain products with good “slip” really help with this. May 26, 2020 - Great example of 2B hair care routine with products, wash day, refreshes, diffusing and application tips, and resources on figuring out your hair's porosity and curl type. If your hair is mostly flat and straight at the roots but gets wavier and more “S” shaped toward the bottom, then you have 2B hair! That’s where I want it: dry enough to soak in the product, but damp enough to distribute it before it frizzes. Use a wide toothed comb or your fingers to tackle each knot slowly and carefully. I’ve got a couple of posts about gel here and here. Type 2b hair generally has a nice sheen, so be sure to choose lighter products such as mousses or gels that can enhance your waves without weighing them down. Thank you! I typically only use gel in the hot and humid summer months! Hope that all helps -Rachel. This option by Aveeno is no exception. -Rachel. Great curls often start in the shower. Wavy Curls. I don’t suppose you recommend any Australian products? I’ve been using the aveeno shampoo and conditioner suggested here. -Rachel. Hi! Readers love to hear when things help others To answer your questions….YES! I can use Yes to Tea Tree conditioner as a co-wash OR “normal” conditioner. Diffusing? Oct 26, 2020 - Explore Corinne | Slay At Home Mother's board "Curly Girl Method", followed by 7982 people on Pinterest. It offers a good hold but without getting crunchy. I use about a quarter size amount and lather into my scalp. . I also use that technique with the UFD Curly magic by coating each clump. Great curls often start in the shower. -Rachel. Yep, I do my hair at night 9 times out of 10. I feel very lucky to have wavy/curly hair… Thank you! Most people with textured hair have more than one type of pattern on their head, "so you may have a combination of, say, kinky, coily, wavy, and curly," adds François. The scalp is where build up actually occurs, so that’s where to focus. This method was first made popular in December 2001, when hairstylist Lorraine Massey released her hair-care guide, Curly Girl: The Handbook. The line that caught me was “oat as the first ingredient.” Most shampoos/low-poos have water or maybe aloe vera juice as the top ingredient. I started doing the curly girl method in October of last year and notice my hair becoming thinner. The name doesn’t lie, this stuff is MAGICAL. Curly girl method products for wavy hair (type 2) My hair definitely falls into the latter end of wavy, somewhere between 2c and 3a. I’ve been following the curly girl method about 18 months now and here is what my 2b/2c/3a Wavy Curly Hair Routine looks like! Really, you can look at the pictures in my 2 minute refresh post and the technique is quite similar (my hair is about double the length now!). While warm water is perfect for helping to loosen up any debris on the scalp, wavy curls benefit from being rinse with cool water. Hi, I have been working with the Curly Girl Method for around seven months now, and my 2a waves just look horrible. Hope that helps! I think have normal porosity. share. Nothing too detailed, I just want some moisture there. If you want a detailed blog post on any of these, please comment below. Thank you! How does the UFC work on non-coarse, finer hair? This website is for sale. ), I wrote  a whole post about apple cider vinegar! -Rachel. Hair. Why I Didn’t Support Love Beauty and Planet for Wavy Hair and WHAT CHANGED MY MIND. as a conditioner if you have lightened your hair recently. This follows the curly girl method, so feel free to share it with both your wavy friends and  curly friends! See more ideas about Curly girl method, Curly girl, Curly hair styles. First thing first. A lot of times simply getting that hair wet and lightly applying product does the trick for defining the waves.. My hair isn’t super tangly in between though unless I put it in a tight bun. Any tips to share? This is considered pretty minimal still as many wavies use 4+ styling products vs 2 (but I get you, easy and minimal is so nice!) So I do prefer to use both for those reasons. I love to share what YOU want, wavy friend! I grow it out and then cut it again because I just get tired of the battle. I’ll try to look through the wording and make sure it’s clear enough. I can use GVP conditioning balm as a “normal” conditioner OR a deep conditioner. TBH, most days I flip my hair “against” my part until it’s dry, then once it is dry, flip it to the “normal” side. There are a lot of videos and blog posts about the Curly Girl Method, and it can be very overwhelming, so I highly recommend you read the book to start with the basics.. Sorry if that was in here and I missed it, Hi there! If my hair is any drier /I will lightly scrunch in a bit of water from the sink. The first is a point of clarification, in that: are you saying that your use of gvp conditioning balm, coconut oil, and yes to tea tree shampoo are interchangeable? Hope that all helps a bit! What is the purpose of each separately? How I use: Basically whenever I notice my hair is dry, I’ll use this in place of a regular conditioner. Low-poos are very user friendly if you are just starting your natural hair journey. The Curly Girl Method on damaged wavy hair (2a/2b) - YouTube Hooray definition -Rachel, Hi! But if you want my “normal” routine….this is it. Glad you’ve got a product to try to use a new way. I detail how to use each product for each wash day, and also the other treatments to do less often (like a hair mask!). I’m not sure why they work so well but I’ve had my tangle teezer since 2011 and it’s still my go to! And secondly, how often do you go through your routine? -Rachel, Your email address will not be published. I have been trying to pretend that my hair is straight for years. How I Use: First things first I will use a little of this conditioner to detangle my hair (with my fingers) and rinse completely. Type 2: Wavy Hair. . I have since heard that many others have had a similar experience from this particular product. For the first time ever, my 2a-2c waves came out defined and separated instead of a rat’s nest. Curl Custard. Yep! I had a couple of questions – firstly, I have seen other sources where you do a ‘final wash’ before the low poo, is there a reason this routine excludes that? Copyright @2020 - CurlyHair.com All Right Reserved. I have a post coming about my fall/winter wavy hair routine (using a different low-poo) so be sure to subscribe if you aren’t yet! View All-Wavy-Hair-227769691132050’s profile on Facebook. Wavy Hair Progress Using the Curly Girl Method (2B Routine in Comments) hair victory. CGM stands for The Curly Girl Method (coined and developed by Lorraine Massey) and is a way to care and style for wavy and curly hair without damaging it so your natural curl pattern is revealed and enhanced. Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window). If I’m just bored of my waves and want to change things up, I’ll do flexi rods in my hair overnight. I washed it this morning, so I’m hopeful it will look better again. Hi, have you got any alternatives you like for the mouse as I live in the uk and can’t seem to find it anywhere? About every 4-5 days. I follow the CG method with conditioner and how I apply product but I not with shampoo. I first heard about the Curly Girl Method years ago, but I never considered it an option for my in-between, wavy hair. The Best Wash Routine For 2a/2b Wavy Curls, This Is How To Correctly Apply Curl Care…, How To Make Your Own Chemical Free Hairspray, Even more crazy cool cheap curly care products, The Curly Girls´ Guide to Hair Extensions, Faux Hair, Don’t Care: Find Your Favorite Clip-in…, Kinky Curly Hair Extensions: How To Choose The…. Many wavy friends end up with weighed down hair, gunky build up, and end up cleansing their hair far too often (even daily). Wavy hair can have a learning curve for sure. Related Post: Tips to Wash Hair Less Often. I’m done! If you are interested in diffusing, I love the Xtava Black Orchid because it’s HUGE, which means you can get your hair done relatively fast. Read on to find out more about my curly girl routine! It’s a holy grail that I’ll repurchase over and over. A styling tip: Going for the plopping method is one of the key steps of the 2b curly hair routine. I’d say to try the mousse mentioned here too, but if the weather is very humid near you then you may need a gel too. I think the UFD Curly Magic works great with fine hair, but you may want to use a bit less, and be aware of how much other product you’re using if that makes sense? You could be a Curly Girl but think you are a wavy girl. -Rachel. Think this would still work? I’ll edit that shortly. There are four hair types – 1, 2, 3 and 4 – which can be split into the subcategories A, B and C. Type 1 is straight, whilst Type 2 hair is wavy; 2A hair usually has a slight, undefined wave, whereas in Type 2B hair, we can already notice the wave of the hair taking on a lovely “s” shape, the most defined of which can be found in 2C hair. I hated gel in my hair but I’m trying it again now with the scrunch thing, if I could be patient enough to keep my hands out too! Type 2b hair sticks close to the head and forms into "S" shaped waves. I just discovered my wavy 2a/2b hair. You caught a typo! Subscribe to All Wavy Hair, never miss a post! Type 2 texture is typically flatter at the root and lays close to the head, getting curlier from the ears down. Another option that is a bit more pricey but seems great is Ecoslay Orange Marmalade. Also, using mousse means your hair isn’t as heavy as it would be with gels/creams. Type 2 wavy texture is not quite straight and not completely curly, with the spectrum of hair ranging from loose loops to coarse, thick S-shaped waves combined with curls. -Rachel, Thanks for the quick reply! They work great but I’m not the biggest fan of the scent. The curly and wavy hair community have absolutely pushed companies to create more sulfate free and silicone free options at a great price point. -Rachel. http://www.cutehaircolor.website/cute-shoulder-length-haircuts/. Hi Rachel! -Rachel. Thanks -Rachel. , So glad it worked for you! I assume it’s the aloe and the weather. I fully rinse in between. This allows the cuticle to close back down, sealing moisture in. That causes buildup/grease. Jun 13, 2020 - My current hair care routine just a month into the Curly Girl Method has already transformed my hair. I’m enjoying experimenting with my natural hair. Many followers of the Curly Girl Method have built this conditioner into their haircare routine and with fantastic results. She shares her favorite tips, products and techniques to fight frizziness, air dry, enhance curls and style fine or thick hair (2a, 2b, 2c). For the basic Dos and Don’ts, head to our original CG blog. That covers pretty much everything! This one does not coat the hair in the same way as other silicones. Keep reading if you take morning showers!…. I think the only difference in the line is the fragrance. The aveeno rose and chamomile shampoo says it is safe but the conditioner comes up unsafe on curlscan.com – do you know why this is or could it be a typo? The curly girl method is a method developed by Lorraine Massey that encourages curlies to ditch sulfates and silicones, stop brushing and damaging their hair with heat, and enhance their natural curl patterns through wet styling and diffusing. My waves look better than they ever have and for once I don’t hate them. This is because you’re doing it wrong– let me explain how. I’m having a hard time figuring out the purpose and difference between curl definers stimulators/activators and curl mousses/stylers. did you cut off that damage? If you’ve got wavy hair, you can be on the Curly Girl method and still use your normal shampoo as long as you only wash it once a week.