This method comes in handy especially if the fish are a bit on the small side. How to Fillet a Goliath Grouper; How to Clean Tilapia; Easy Way to Debone a Trout; How to Fry Fish That Was Frozen; www.fcps.k12.va.us . Order The Stop before you reach the tail, leaving the end attached. This video is unavailable. I find it easier to start at the rear of the rib cage/back of the fish. Their abundance makes them a great fish to transplant for anglers. I’m not really sure where the name pan-fish came from; my sense is that they were just small fish that were scaled, gutted and gilled and tossed into the fry pan. Then flip the fish over and fillet the other side. Now push the knife blade all the way through the fish and out the belly side. for filleting bluegills, bass, northern and walleye is available in Saved by adnan botoinjic. I find it best to start with a decent sized bluegill, but if you have a whole mess of them to clean, don’t start with the biggest. Cut the fillet free at the tail. Go catch some bluegills! This doesn’t mean dead bluegill or cut bait won’t get the job done. When fishing for Bass, It is recommended to hook the Bluegill right behind the dorsal fin. As a kid, I caught many from the river that ran through our town but never gave a thought to eating them. Step-by-step tutorial on how to fillet a bluegill or sunfish. Once caught, cleaning, gutting and cooking the bluegill is relatively simple. I was pretty skeptical until, among a four-boat group, we returned with over 150 of the little guys in about an hour’s worth of fishing. Source. Also necessary is a good fillet knife. The most difference is that within the traditional method, you’ll not cut the fish off the rib bones. About ten years ago, I was taken to a small lake for the singular purpose of catching ‘gills for a fish fry. Cut the flesh carefully away from the rib cage. franklloydwrightsites.com | The live Bluegill tends to cover more area within the water when they are hooked this way. Flatheads tend to opt for the live bait only, but cut bait is also a viable option to catch a flathead. The ribcage has a little meat on it and if u fry it its just gonna be alla crispy!!!! With the fillet barely attached to the tail, flip it away from the fish. If you happen to run out of living bait. Step through the process of filleting a Bluegill with us, it’s not hard and well worth the time spent. You’ll then catch the fish by its tail and take away the fillet during a jerk that slides downwards. With the fillet barely attached to the tail, flip it away from the fish. Electric Knife Fishing Youtube Youtubers Peaches Youtube Movies Gone Fishing. I took pictures of every step so if you do not wish to see a cut up bluegill do not continue to read. I just started the electric fillet knife thing last year, and it was amazing. Don’t worry if you don’t get this perfect at first. bream, sunfish, blue bream, sun perch, blue sunfish, sunfish, sunperch, coppernose, copperbelly or bluegills – and are over-looked by many due to their diminutive size. Step 6: Now that the fillet is cut from the bluegill, cut the small row of bones from the middle of the fillet. the fish on your left. Electric fillet knife is the way to go, however, there are some that I have my trusty old fillet knife for. (Again, this method is for a right-handed 1. Arrange the bluegill fillets on the baking sheet with the skin side down. Visit our profile page at This procedure is very … Enter your email address to subscribe to Handy Father and receive notifications of new posts by email. Feb 2, 2017 - This Pin was discovered by Concepcion D. Discover (and save!) Repeat the process for the other side of the fish. Cut all the way through the ribs and down to the main bone. How to Fillet a Bluegill: Begin by laying your fillet knife behind the pectoral fin. do you want a quick way to get boneless skinless bluegill fillets. It’s not difficult, but it does require some time because you need a lot of fish for a good fry. To save flesh, the blade should graze the bones. my article on Removing the Skin from Fish Fillets) and what is left should be a If the ‘gills are fairly large, four to six fish per person will do rather nicely for a fish fry… although it depends upon how hungry you are after cleaning all those fish! Be careful not to cut through the ribs. complete set of instructions Live bluegill is going to be much more appealing to the monsters of the water and your gigantic blue catfish and monster flathead catfish. By the way, if you have a great spot for catching blue gills, it is a tremendous way to get a kid hooked on fishing. my Filleting Small Mouth Bass article). If you keep the knife blade along the skin, you won't waste any … is owned, designed, maintained and hosted by 5. your own Pins on Pinterest Tips on how to Fillet a Bluegill. Focus on these few tips for filleting bluegill. You will get almost all of the meat off of the bluegill and zero bones when using this method. Now, lifting the small slab of the fillet, use the tip of the knife to begin to separate the meat from the rib cage. I even use bluegills now to make what I call Kab Cakes (almost We always manage to bring back 50 or 60 for a fish fry. The best ones – if you can locate them – are about the size of your hand. How to Use Live Bluegill as Bait for Big Bass. Cut downward, following the curve of the rib cage, and gradually working your way forward towards the front of the rib cage. When the fillet is removed, place it, with rib cage still attached, on a sheet of wax paper. I struggled through filleting my first several; a friend then showed me how. At this point, the fillet is only attached at the rib cage and the belly. Step 5: With the bluegill flayed open, and using the fillet knife, start at the tail-end of the fillet and cut the meat from the skin/scales. Northern Sky Watch Queue Queue When the fillet is removed, place it, with rib cage still attached, on a sheet of wax paper. Make the first cut down and into the fish just behind the Im not wasting MEAT!!!!! A sharp fillet knife is essential to cleaning your catch and I always use an electric knife whenever electricity is available. As effective method for luring Bass to your bait is to pull the line when the Bluegill is hooked. Step 8: Flip the bluegill over and repeat on the other side. Your email address will not be published. Step 1: Start with a nice and clean, flat cutting surface. and this is a quick demonstration!!!!! It will. We've dubbed this recipe “Kab” Cakes since they were first made with fresh fish from Lake Kabetogama, Minnesota. How to fillet a blue gill with an electric knife. Slice the fish from behind the gills to the backbone. Once past the ribs, cut the fillet free from the head-end of the fish, and flay it open. We won’t cover how to clean a fish but learn more on that here – How To A Fillet … Here is how to fillet a gill with an electric knife. This cut is also illustrated in the The best fillet knife for the job is not only sharp, but flexible. Required fields are marked *. onthefox.com | About half way past the ribs is a line of small bones which you should cut through. Bluegill is a popular fish for ice fishermen in the wintertime. The last cut to make will be through the belly: the one that allows you to detach the fillet from the carcass. I use a plastic cutting mat, specifically for fish. Serving Northern Indiana In and Near Kosciusko County. JAVASCRIPT IS DISABLED. Don’t forget them, because you can come to my house anytime for a meal of fish, but if you can master how to fillet bluegill yourself, I’ll have fed you for a lifetime! Your email address will not be published. Once you clean a few fish you will get the hang of it. Once the knife is past the rib cage, insert the knife all the way through to the bottom of the fish, and keep cutting toward the tail, while keeping the knife as close to the spine as possible. MMMM!! How To Easily Fillet your Bluegill, Crappie, Rock Bass or other Panfish . (Again, this method is for a right-handed person.) Position your knife on the narrow portion of the fillet, and while holding the fish, slice between the meat and the skin to remove the fillet. Today, I’m going to break down the quick and straightforward process of frying and assembling fish tacos. While holding the skin, cut in the direction of where the head used to be. Bluegills are a freshwater fish that can be found in all three countries in North America. Watch Queue Queue. Hello all of fishing lovers, Today's post is "Tips on how to Fillet a Bluegill". better than Crab Cakes). Kab Cakes are a great way to use your catch of bluegills but can be made with any combination of fish. The cakes have an outstanding flavor, are easy to make, and are perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as an appetizer. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Filleting them was another matter: the size and anatomy of the fish make filleting them something of a chore. Focus on these few tips for filleting bluegill. Don't slice through, leave a small piece attached. I use a plastic cutting mat, specifically for fish. Remove the first boneless fillet by … During this method, you’ll pass the belly of the fish only halfway through the fillet then you slice all the way through the tail. I ... My model came with two blade sizes: an 8-inch model for crappie and walleye and a 5 1/2-inch version for bluegill. person.) Please enable JavaScript on your browser to best view this site. A lot of people clean them quickly leaving bone pieces etc. |. Then just flip that side off to expose the meat side of the fillet while its still connected to the fish and just run the blade down the fillet to remove it from the skin. Filleting Bass article. Then we will show you how to clean those fillets and cook them. How to fillet bluegill? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The curve of the rib cage is rather steep and therefore somewhat difficult to follow – as always, a sharp knife is a must and practice makes perfect. These have been 8 steps how to fillet bluegill. Step 4: Now, back where the rib cage is still attached to the fillet, pull up on the meat where the cut is, and start cutting the meat back with your fillet knife. I am pretty fast and accurate when it comes to the regular fillet knife, but I can do about 3 to 1 with the electric. All Rights Reserved. The action can be fast and furious when they start to hit, and it can be tough to keep your line in the water. Filleting Bluegills & Sunfish. The recipe for Kab Cakes can be found Check out how I fillet a bluegill or sunfish. 8 steps for How to fillet bluegill. (They are very similar to crab cakes but use freshwater fish instead of crab.). Make the first cut down and into the fish just behind the pectoral fin.