Copyright © 2020 | ChickenAndChicksInfo.com | As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It’s good for the immune system, aids digestion, and importantly for chickens, can help alleviate respiratory issues. Over the years, she owns many different types of small pets from dogs to hermit crabs. While citrus fruits can be used as substitutes, they cannot perfectly replicate its flavor and aroma. It can be quite invasive. I’m pretty bad when it comes to growing and keeping plants alive, but even I’ve managed to grow lemongrass over the years so it must be easy. Lemongrass is an herb from Southeast Asia and that grows in tropical climates. If you’re feeding them lemongrass leaves too, bunch them together and dice them up really fine. Lavender is another great smelling herb with a range of awesome health benefits and uses. It will help you sleep quickly and better. This part of the herb contains a lot of nutrients as well. The Truth is…mint does not have a cooling effect on chickens in hot weather. Lemongrass contains a compound called citronella, which is often found in insect-repelling products. Even though lemongrass doesn’t have any toxins in them, you can feed them as much as you want. It’s a good source of calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, zinc, and copper. We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. It smells great, will repel pests and even small rodents, and has some decent nutritional benefits when eaten by your hens. You should also talk to … These plants are not only extremely poisonous to poultry, but also to many other types of livestock and humans. Daffodils, iris, narcissus, tulips and other bulbs are among the first signs of spring in the … No need to share your cinnamon buns, just add a teaspoon to their feed.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'chickenandchicksinfo_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_12',108,'0','0'])); I usually just add about a teaspoon to their feed once a day throughout the winter. The clover confused me because I have seen clover mentioned on several lists of things chickens shouldn't be eating. According to WebMD, the properties in lemongrass can help with a long line of health issues, such as swelling, digestive issues, cramps, fever, colds, and more. Lemongrass tea and lemongrass oil are very effective in calming the nerves. However, when chickens eat grass, they nip off of the tip of the blade; they eat tiny pieces, a little at a time. Whether you’re trying to grow it, or you want to know if you can feed it to your hens – they’ll eat it either way. Chickens and ducks can be prone to leg and foot injuries from hard landings off the roost, as well as bumblefoot, a staph infection that can lead to foot and leg swelling. Personally, I can’t get enough of the aroma and taste of cinnamon, so I’ll use any excuse to open the jar. Commercial feeds are formulated with the right amount of nutrition for them. The active ingredient in thyme called thymol is commonly used in pesticides for this reason. When dried properly, this… Learn more here. If you are worried, it is better to just not feed these plants to your chickens. Also, it works to prevent cell damage from free radicals as well. As the name indicates, it has a strong lemony flavor that is often used to complement Thai and Vietnamese dishes, but the flavor is versatile enough to work in European dishes as well. Natural Pest Control - Safe for Chickens, Other Pets and People in herbs 'Tis the season of bugs and other pests. Asparagus has a … Another option is to dry the lemongrass leaves. If your chickens eat the marigold petals, their egg yolks, beaks, and feet will become a gorgeous, vibrant orange color. I have not found the citronella plant as a dried herb, so I use lemongrass in my flock’s nesting boxes to give them extra protection while they lay eggs. I’ve also read some owners say they find it to be a laying stimulant. Either way, it’s health benefits all around. It’s also a good pest repellent. If you cook spaghetti plain, it’s safe for chickens to eat. Lemongrass is not citrus, it is a grass. Lemongrass, in its plant form, is generally safe to use in food and beverages. It’ll still have their nutrients as when it’s fresh and it can be stored longer. They can safely eat bugs that have been misted with the spray. The leaves and oils made from the plant are used to make various medicines. One important aspect of raising chickens is maintaining healthy living environments - ensuring that the flock is always safe. It has a lot of nutrients and very versatile. It’s an in-depth topic, but to help get you started, here are some of the more popular herbs and spices that are popular in the backyard chicken community:eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'chickenandchicksinfo_com-leader-1','ezslot_9',107,'0','0'])); I love mint, is there a more iconic and wonderful smelling herb? The chickens will drink the water normally. I doubt it would be a problem for chickens. The essential oil of lemongrass leaves can help protect the stomach lining. If you give toss the entire lemongrass stalk to them, they’ll just ignore it.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'smallpethub_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_9',106,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'smallpethub_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_10',106,'0','1'])); Instead, the lemongrass will need to be fed to the chickens in a smaller size. Nutrient-dense foods are usually most important when it comes to deciding what to feed chickens. They will either eat it, or they will turn their beaks up and ignore it.