Thanx for all the help you make available—I love Lion yarns!! These are easy care yarns that come in different thicknesses depending on your needs, such as Wool-Ease, Wool-Ease Thick & Quick and Wool-Ease Cakes Yarn. I hope whoever gave up on that yarn could afford the yarn easily and didn’t mind getting rid of it. The back is more than roomy enough, since it wraps around to my front by at least 6 inches on each side, so I figure when it is done it will be a 4x, considering the tension. Thank you so much for the Lion website and all the information and to all these wonderful knitter who offer great ideas. Once you know the weight, try and find a smooth, silky yarn (the qualities of rayon-from-bamboo) in that weight to substitute. At Lion Brand® we believe that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and that nothing makes you feel more beautiful than wearing something you made with your own two hands. Color Made Easy from Lion Brand. I have some additional common sense once you think about it tips for substituting yarn. This #5 Bulky yarn is perfect for blankets! However, what I’d really like is for Lion Brand to offer a yarn similar to Paton’s Grace, a #3 (a lightweight #3) mercerized 100% cotton, in a consistently available, large variety of colors. Hope that helps! I have been knitting since I was 8 yrs. Lion Brand Yarn Color Made Easy Yarn, Pink Lemonade 4.5 out of 5 stars 9. and figure out from there what type of yarn they are supposed to be. There are lots of factors that can slight change the gauge of your yarn: humidity, dye, storage, and so on. Color makes a statement in this springy multi-plied yarn ideal for eye-catching garments, accessories, and home décor. Meet Cotton-Ease® Yarn! Otherwise, be adventurous. Please allow 24 - 48 hours for an email response. Hi Mary Lou, like Jess mentioned in the blog post, you’ll want to substitute based on both the weight of the original yarn and the texture. Donate it to a thrift store or a homeless shelter or whatever is locally available. Thanks for the info – I am swatching a substitute yarn right now! I love alpaca, but it too grows over time, and so the snugness of the fit will change. when i started to yarn craft i was always told to look at the ounces/grams… i’ve never told someone to do that i always say to look at the yardage/meters as it is far more accurate especially if your staying in the same gauge and needle/hook size. I substitute all the time. Special offers and product promotions. If the yarn in question is a budget stretcher, or if barely enough is available, or if it is the rare yarn that does not reknit well of course you need to be more careful to get the right amount, and to not make any mistakes. Creating a more colorful, connected, and giving world. I would like the detailed list of your yarns separated by categories/weights also. See more ideas about lion brand yarn, crochet patterns, yarn. Do you like to substitute yarns, or do you tend to use each pattern’s suggested yarn? Emails sent Friday after 4pm EST will be answered the following week. FAQ: How do I substitute one yarn for another? I live in Arizona so I only use cotton or cotton blends. What am I missing? I like to substitute yarns…especially since my skin tends to ‘react’ whenever I wear fabrics made from synthetic materials. Check your gauge. YARN:#5 Bulky Weight Lion Brand Color Made Easy or suitable substitute. Let us know in the comments! If you like the self-striping cake yarns, Lion Brand doesn't disappoint with the very popular Mandala Yarn line including Mandala Yarn, Mandala Baby Yarn and Mandala Thick & Quick Yarn. Consider texture and color. When I print off the pattern, I then go to the Yarn section of the website and print off the detail for whatever yarn is called for in the pattern. $30.15. These can make a big impact on the style of your finished project. Lion Brand Color Made Easy is loved for its on-trend, sophisticated, solid colours and durability. Click here for a blog post all about substituting different yarn weights. You need to make sure you have enough yarn for your project, so always double-check the amount of yarn you’ll need. A few years ago you had a detailed list of all your yarns, separated by categories/weights. So what if you really really don’t want it. Crochet Diamond Berry Stitch Blanket from Daisy Farm Crafts – Original yarn: Patons Classic Wool Roving yarn / Substitute: Lion Brand’s Color Made Easy Since CME is 100% acrylic, this is a great substitute for people with wool allergies! Cotton-Ease® is a versatile, soft cotton-blend, worsted-weight yarn. Lion Brand Ferris Wheel is also super similar in appearance to Lion Brand Scarfie but the weight of the yarn is a bit limiting. Be one of the first to find out about special offers and new products! If the pattern takes extra yarn while knitting the sweater, at least I can finish the sweater with matching yarn. We carry over 70 lines of Lion Brand Yarn for your creative knitting, crochet, or other crafting projects. Lion Brand Color Made Easy yarn is a sophisticated multi-plied 100% acrylic yarn in twenty-two wonderful trendy colors. Free Lion Brand Yarn Knit and Crochet Patterns offered with special permission from Lion Brand.Click on the pattern picture or the pattern name to automatically download the pattern. Color Made Easy Yarn is a 5 bulky yarn and 100% acrylic. Adding pockets to garments that don’t have them, or more pockets to ones that do. Wrist bands, belts, coasters, cozies for toasters, teapots, drinking glasses, cases for eye glasses. You can’t just pull out your hooks and needles and do a gauge swatch without buying the yarn! Only 3 left in stock - order soon. colorways. Today I'm sharing my honest thoughts and opinions about it. Will you update it some time–I’m sure some of the yarns have been discontinued. For any Lion Brand Yarn patterns that used Cotton-Ease Yarn, we recommend using any smooth yarns with a weight of 4. Have you been curious about the new Lion Brand yarn, color made easy? I thought maybe there was something wrong with me that I was buying so much. I would sometimes substitute for color choice reasons. A list of potential substitutes, if you can't get hold of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky, with detailed advice and warnings about any differences. Only 2 left in stock - order soon. That’s more than I want to spend. I usually knit every day, so always have to have something on the go. Lion Brand Color Made Easy is a great choice! Really, I appreciate all the tips you take the time to provide. The range of shades is large and varied, letting you match your projects to your vision. Yarn By Softness - The Knitting-Warehouse Softness Meter, Martha Stewart Coming Home Poncho Kids Size Pattern, Lion Brand Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns >>. So when I was younger I was not afraid to try difficult patterns. Hi Kathy, if you go to LionBrand.com, hold our mouse over “Our Yarns” and click on “Yarns by Weight,” you can see a list of all of our yarns by weight (with the discontinued ones marked). Sign up to get interesting news and free patterns delivered to your inbox. Maybe the person who buys it in the thrift store for $1 takes it apart and knits something else, or maybe someone buys it for the cat to sleep on. The smallest size of the Inishturk Sweater requires 3 skeins of Fishermen’s Wool. You can check our yarn substitution page but l know Kitchen Cotton and Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton work well instead of Cotton-Ease. Yarn is a very safe thing to be adventurous with. Make sure to browse all the new Lion Brand yarns. You may be able to make your item using this yarn, but the finished fabric will have a different look. They are known for high quality yarn that makes a beautiful knit or crochet fabric. SKILL LEVEL: Easy. Lion Brand Knitting Yarn Color Made Easy Turmeric 3-Skein Factory Pack (Same Dye Lot) 195-158 Bundle with 1 Artsiga Crafts Project Bag 5.0 out of 5 stars 5. It has a large database of yarns from all the major manufacturers and many smaller brands too. We are passionate about helping people enjoy the pleasures of working with yarn. Close X. I am not about to throw away a sweater if I can reuse the yarn! old. And don’t be afraid of a little math to make it all come out right. I rarely use the recommended yarn. So last week, I published my first raglan-sleeve knit sweater pattern, my Dotty Pullover . Sometimes the pattern does have that info on the last page as well. $30.15. Each skein of Fishermen’s Wool has 465 yards. If so, great! Firstly, because it usually wasn’t available, or secondly, it would cost too much, so gauge is the way to go. Lion Brand Knitting Yarn Color Made Easy Turmeric 3-Skein Factory Pack (Same Dye Lot) 195-158 Bundle with 1 Artsiga Crafts Project Bag 5.0 out of 5 stars 5. Lion Brand® yarns are sold online, at craft chains, discount chains and independent shops across the United States. They have released new additions include Amazing Lace, Beautiful You, Color Made Easy, Crayola Cake, Ferris Wheel, Flikka, Mandala Sparkle, Terryspun, Touch of Merino and Touch of Mohair. Suggested Retail: $7.99 Our Price: $4.85. Lion Brand Knitting Yarn Color Made Easy Turmeric 3-Skein Factory Pack (Same Dye Lot) 195-158 Bundle with 1 Artsiga Crafts Project Bag 5.0 out of 5 stars 5. In our example, the Inishturk Sweater is knit in Fishermen’s Wool, which is a worsted weight yarn, so you could consider substitution yarns like Amazing, Vanna’s Choice, Cotton-Ease, and more. Only 4 left in stock - order soon. If the pattern calls for the right amount of yarn in the sweater, I then make the matching hat and mittens, and if there is extra, I can make longer cuffs on the mittens or an additional accessory. Seems to be a common knitting problem. Consider texture and color. Each skein is 7oz and 247 yards. What is a good exchange yarn for lion cotton ease? They are known for high quality yarn that makes a beautiful knit or crochet fabric. Our … In this case, look for a yarn within the same weight category, and then gauge swatch after your purchase. Thanks for info on substitutions. Customer Service 1-800-258-YARN (9276) 8am to 4pm EST (Mon - Fri) Can anyone tell me a good subsitute for bamboo. Sometime I just go to their website Lion Brand® yarns are sold online, at craft chains, discount chains and independent shops across the United States. A big, chunky 100% acrylic that has a satisfying multi-ply structure, it knits up with speed and ease. Yarn; Viewing as a guest user. Lion Brand® Yarn Company is a fifth generation, family-owned business. Lion Brand® Yarn Company is a fifth generation, family-owned business. […]3 Tips for Yarn Substitution | Lion Brand Notebook[…]…. So far I have the back done, and it is perfect! HOOK SIZE: US Size (J/10) 6.0 mm - TOOLS: Twine, Hot Glue Gun, 5/8” Ribbon. Is this the effect that you’re going for? Lion Brand Yarn & Wool. Both are great, affordable options. Only 3 left in stock - order soon. If you really don’t like the result and don’t want to take it apart to reuse the yarn, give it away. Substituting a different yarn is an easy way to make a pattern truly unique. Every yarn labelled “4” , for example, is not created equal – some are fuzzy, some are boucle, some are smooth, etc. yarns > Lion Brand > Color Made Easy. I bought so much of it when it was on sale and then found that a lot was discontinued like HOMESPUN ADIRONDACK. weight include: LB Collection Cotton Bamboo and Microspun. stashes (817) pattern ideas. For another big project, say a kitchen table runner, I buy enough for matching towels and dish clothes for example. (thickness), try looking it up on a site like Yarndex.com or Ravelry.com. It takes away alot of the guessing. If you really want to use a yarn with a different gauge, you’ll need to do some math. What about Amazing? Yea. A list of potential substitutes, if you can't get hold of Lion Brand Color Made Easy, with detailed advice and warnings about any differences. Find your next project by searching over 8,000 free knitting and crochet … If I plan a bigger project with any yarn, substitute or not, that I haven’t worked with before, I buy extra yarn for small matching projects, for example for a sweater I buy yarn for hat mittens and scarf. Content: 100% Acrylic; Weight Category: 5; Put-up Weight: 7 oz, 247 yds; Knit Gauge: 4 in = 13 stitches on size 10.5 needles; Recommended Crochet Hook Size: K … projects (1524) ... About this yarn Color Made Easy. I have so much yarn I could probably open a store of my own. Another favorite staple yarn from Lion Brand is the Vanna Yarns. I often substitute yarns and always swatch for gauge. Our example is knit in a solid shade of Fishermen’s Wool, which is a smooth, traditional yarn. Or subtle stripes.. Or get bolder and instead of mixing dye lots mix colors or colorways. 1,395 yards / 197 yards = 7.08 skeins. Also, the color changes of Amazing would certainly change the look of the sweater. These can make a big impact on the style of your finished project. So don't hesitate to order available items today and then rest easy knowing you won't pay full shipping when this item is available. Being able to use a natural fiber yarn instead of a man-made fiber yarn makes me very happy! On top of these well known yarns are a variety of other yarns worthy of discovery. I can’t find that yarn in my area. Discover this customer favorite for yourself! We are passionate about helping people enjoy the pleasures of working with yarn. Wool-Ease has 197 yards per skein. A few mistakes like that and it surely discourages you from taking on projects where you try to substitute yarns. There are always small matching projects that let me make sure I have enough without adding much if any left over yarn to a stash. I agree mkm, i just make sure if they are the growing type of sweaters they get folded not hung. A list of the most popular yarns from Lion Brand and links to workable alternatives. I often substitute. You wouldn’t want to substitute a heavily textured yarn, as it would obscure the cables. Hi, Kristina. I remember one time specifically I wanted to use the recommended yarn, and it had been discontinued! It is surprisingly soft and light for a bulky yarn. Lion Brand Color Made Easy Yarn. Now available in popular multipacks. Contact Information Lion Brand Yarn 135 Kero Road Carlstadt, NJ, 07072. I just finished a cardigan that I substituted two thinner yarns to equal one bulky. $30.15. What can you make with Lion Brand Yarn? However while a few of these projects were turning out I found I didn’t have sufficient quantities of yarn. I printed it & refer to it whenever I’m not familiar with the yarn recommended in a pattern. With the Danbury Knit coat pattern on Lion Brand’s pattern page, I did not have over $80.00 to buy the yarn recommended, and the size only goes up to 2x, so I got to use the most beautiful yarn (imo) that I have had for years, it is worsted weight, while the pattern calls for bulky, I knit up a swatch, with two strands held as one, and it was bigger than the pattern swatch by almost double, so I knew that would give me between a 3x and 4x. 3. But what if you’re browsing yarn in a store? 2 skeins would cost me over $60! If yardage isn’t indicated in the pattern, simply multiply the yardage per skein with the number of skeins required. Made of 100% acrylic, garments will last and are easy to care for. Customer Service hours are, Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm EST, excluding Holidays. Color Made Easy by Lion Brand is a great go-to yarn for bright, resilient projects. If you know that you will need to use two different dye lots you can improve the result a little by doing this in a planned way, for example sleeves in one dye lot, torso in another. Hope that helps! The texture of this yarn is plied (3 or more plies) rather than single ply wrapped with fine thread. you’ve also got to consider how the fiber “behaves” over time: cotton can stretch vertically, turning your sweater into a dress! Sometimes this helps with matching guage, but it does make knitting a little harder with one more thing to concentrate on, so I don’t really recommend this but it is somewhat possible if you really want to make something work out. For the project I’m doing  I could substitute another HOMESPUN but other projects I need to know other yarns. Lion Brand Yarn is a popular yarn manufacturer that is known for their quality and innovative yarn. Then I make the sweater. Don’t forget about yardage. Here is a list of crochet projects on Ravelry that use Color Made Easy yarn. It would also help to have yarn description on the wonderful patterns you publish each week so we know what the yarn is like. Read 3 reviews | Write a Review. I want to knit a shawl that calls for bamboo yarn. I have never seen a half finished knitting project in a thrift shop, but I have found very tangled but very pretty yarn in quantity in a thrift shop that looked like someone had frogged an entire project without rewinding, that I bought dirt cheap, untangled quickly and knit. Lion Brand Knitting Yarn Color Made Easy Turmeric 3-Skein Factory Pack (Same Dye Lot) 195-158 Bundle with 1 Artsiga Crafts Project Bag 5.0 out of 5 stars 5. Some Lion Brand yarns you may want to consider in the category 3 (light) Lion Brand® Crayola Off The Hook Yarn 85g, Lion Brand® Feels Like Butta Bonus Bundle Yarn, Lion Brand® Heartland® Thick & Quick® Yarn, Lion Brand® Summer Nights Yarn Bonus Bundle, Lion Brand® Thick & Quick Bonus Bundle Yarn, Lion Brand® Touch Of Alpaca Bonus Bundle Yarn, Lion Brand Yarn® Vanna's Palette Bonbons Yarn, Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick® Bonus Bundle Yarn, Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick and Quick® Yarn. Item 710195P . For this, yardage is a more accurate measurement than weight. I have a stash already that would put a knit shop to shame. That’s why created Beautiful You, a CYC 2 weight superior acrylic, in a sophisticated color range perfect for knitting or … The most popular yarn is Vanna's Choice yarn. © 2018 Copyright Lion Brand Yarn. I ended up substituting all of them. If you’re not sure of your original yarn’s weight You’d be in a lot of trouble if you only bought 3 skeins of Wool-Ease, though! I couldn’t match up dye lots either cause I had bought the last of the batch. The “M” Word: Using Different Yarn Weights with the Help of a Little Math, New to Yarncrafting? 4.7 5. Do you ever seen an amazing pattern and think, “Wow, I love that, but I wish it were made in a different yarn”? Many of the high end yarns are not numbered and it makes it a guessing game. I think this yarn would be a good substitute for mittens and slipper sock designs. They will work up into stylish pieces for you, bonnets for babies, or blankets and throws for the home. Great for a variety of projects including baby and children’s clothing and many types of accessories, garments and home decor items. I have also learned to be able to adjust my tension when knitting, at least somewhat. Lion Brand Color Made Easy Yarn If you have been looking for Color Made Easy (CME) patterns then look no further. I think it is a wonderful thing that yarn labels are now numbered for the weight of the yarn. Lion Brand Yarn is America's oldest craft yarn company with 80+ active yarn families. There are a few things to keep in mind when selecting a different yarn. The key is the guage. by Lion Brand. That means you’ll want to round up to 8 skeins to be on the safe side. I make the scarf first to get comfortable with the yarn. | Lion Brand Notebook, http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/landscapes.html. 465 yards x 3 skeins = 1,395 yards. $30.15. If you substitute Wool-Ease, another smooth, traditional yarn, you’ll be using a similar texture while expanding your color choices.